Thursday, January 16, 2014

Antibiotics and recovery

I recently had a dental surgery and had to take antibiotics 3 days before and 4 days after. I'm not too fond of any kind of drug in my system accept a wee bit of alcohol from time to time, so this has been quite difficult for me. Besides the antibiotics, I was frozen at the dentist, had nitrous oxide and now am on Advil for pain relief.

I feel so run down this week; when I get home from work, I'm so exhausted that I usually end up in bed by 8:30! At least I'm getting a lot of sleep!

I have been doing a lot of research on how to recover from a bunch of antibiotic treatment and these are the common suggestions on the sites:

  • Eliminate sugar/simple carbs from diet
  • Add probiotic supplements, prebiotics (i.e. high-fiber foods), fermented foods and vitamins.
I have been following all the doctor's instructions as well as drinking a lot of my meals. I have been having soup all week with the addition of a second huge juice in the afternoon.  After the two last pills tonight, I can start on the probiotics and I guess I should buy some sauerkraut and pickles! YUM!

I'll keep you updated if any/all of these things work!

**EDIT - here is a picture of me trying to do a 'duck face' while my mouth was still frozen - so hilarious!
 I found a site that has a recipe on how to make your own probiotics

 *Excerpted from “The Colon Health Handbook” by Robert Gray

“CABBAGE REJUVELAC:”
 

Recovering from Antibiotic Use (or over-use?)...
 

 “Cabbage is a vegetable that is teeming with lactobacteria. No starter is needed for making rejuvelac. Just start one morning by blending together 1 3/4 cups (420ml) distilled or purified water plus 3 cups (720ml) coarsely chopped, loosely packed fresh cabbage. Start the blender at low speed and then advance the blender to high speed and blend for 30 more seconds. Pour into a jar, cover, and let stand at room temperature for 3 days. At this time, strain off the liquid rejuvelac. The initial batch of cabbage rejuvelac takes 3 days to mature, but succeeding batches take 24 hours each.

Each morning after straining off the fresh rejuvelac, blend together for 30 seconds at high speed 1 1/2 cups (360ml) distilled or purified water plus 3 cups (720ml) coarsely chopped, loosely packed fresh cabbage. Pour into a jar, add 1/4 cup (60ml) of the fresh rejuvelac just strained off, cover, shake and let stand at room temp. until the next morning.

You can also make cabbage rejuvelac without a blender by chopping the cabbage very fine and using 2 1/2 cups (600ml) finely chopped, loosely packed cabbage listed above. The amount of distilled or purified water used should remain unchanged.

Good quality rejuvelac tastes similar to a cross between carbonated water and the whey obtained when making yogurt. Bad quality rejuvelac has a much more putrid odor and taste and should not be consumed. Always avoid using tap water when making rejuvelac because chlorine has been added to it for the purpose of killing bacteria of any kind.

Drink each day’s rejuvelac during the course of the day by taking 1/2 cup (120ml) 3x a day, preferably with meals.”

No comments:

Post a Comment