Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Vegan Shortbread Cookies

I wanted to bring something to work to share with everyone and to show that vegans can also have some pretty yummy desserts and baking at Christmas time. Let's just say, it didn't take long for these babies to disappear. People loved them and couldn't believe, first off that I made them and second, that they were vegan! Woo hoo! (I'm in the process of making a second batch to bring in tomorrow!)

I found this recipe under Dairy free cooking on About.com

Vegan Shortbread Cookies

1 Cup (2 sticks) Non-Dairy Shortening - I use Earth Balance Shortening 4 come in a box
2/3 cup Icing Sugar
2 Cups flour of choice
1/8 Tsp Salt

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the non-dairy shortening using an electric hand mixer until creamy (I have a kitchenaid mixer and it works really well.) Add the icing sugar and beat until well combined. Gradually add the flour and salt until the mixture forms a thick, soft dough.

Form the dough into 1" balls with your hands, placing on the sheet as you work. To squish them down I dipped a wooden spoon into flour and pressed down on the balls and then added some sprinkles. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool completely on a wire cooling rack.

These cookies are quite buttery and yummy. I really think you should make some...like, right now :)


No comments:

Post a Comment