Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Masala Dahl

Masala Dahl

I used this recipe from the Brietenbush Cookbook. I bought the cookbook last year when I was there and then promptly put it on the shelf. When I was there a month ago, they served this and it reminded me that I have the book...yippee! Delicious stuff :) I've made it a few times since I've been back.

1 2/3 Dry Lentils
4 1/4 Cups Water
1/4 Turmeric
1 TBS Oil
3/4 TBS Cumin Seed
1 Cup Chopped Onion
1 TBS Cilantro, Chopped Fine
1/4 TBS Crushed Red Chilies
Dash of Salt

Put dry lentils in a pot and cover with hot water. Let stand for one hour. Drain. Add 4 1/4 cups water and tumeric. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until lentils are thouroughly cooked, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.



Mash or puree some of the lentils.

Use a potato masher if you don't have a blender (or want it a bit lumpy)

I blended them the second time
 Heat oil in heavy skillet. Add cumin seed and cook until brown. Add onions and saute until brown. Add salt, crushed red peppers and cilantro. 


Stir in lentils and serve. Serves 4. 



A small amount can even make a good snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment