Monday, January 14, 2013

Vegan Perogies

Well! Now I have a new mixer nothing can stop me! I've been making waaaay too many things in the past two days. Since it's cut the time, I find I'm making more. I'll be 300 pounds by summer. Which is the exact opposite of what should happen especially after the holidays! Ah!

VEGAN PEROGIES!


Dough
2 Cups flour (I used whole wheat, obviously use what you want)
1/2 Cup plus 2 TBSP warm water
1/4 Cup Vegetable oil (I used Olive oil)
1 TSP Salt

Mix all ingredients together. I obviously used my new mixer, but this is do-able without as I have made these before by hand.

Once everything is thoroughly mixed, set bowl aside for 30 mins covered with a towel.

Filling
I used potato, onions, daiya cheese and dill. You can obviously switch it up to your tastes!

5 small potatoes - I had left overs, but that's what I wanted :)
1/2 Yellow onion (I fried them in coconut oil with a bit of salt)
1 TBSP Dill
1 handful of Daiya Shredded Cheese
1/4 cup Almond Milk
TBSP Earth Balance butter

I boiled the potatoes and fried the onions at the same time. Once these two were cooked, I mashed the potatoes how I usually would with the earth balance butter and almond milk. Once the potatoes were the consistency I like, I added the dill, cheese and onions. Set aside to cool.



Roll out the dough to roughly 1/4 inch or a little thinner. I would say a little thicker than you think because some of the perogies that I made thinner just burst when I boiled them - boo.

I used a heart (aww) cookie cutter for my shape, but an old jar or lid could work too. Cut out your shapes and once your potato mixture is cool (should be cool because you're going to basically handle the potatoes with your fingers) put it into the middle of your cut-out dough and fold over.



Squish the ends together tightly.



Once you have made all your perogies, add them to boiling water for 10 mins. (My water is veggie broth from making seiten earlier, you can just use plain old water :)



Take out from water and drain and cool a bit.



Once cooled down, fry the perogies about a minute on each side and place them on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.


I didn't have any vegan sour cream, so I just ate them as is and they were pretty good! I believe these suckers can last a few days in your fridge, but at least a week or two in the freezer. Make sure to separate them with parchment paper or similar if putting them in fridge/freezer as they are still a bit doughy and might stick together.

If you end up trying this or have a different (or better!) recipe, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment