Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Vegan Stew

Wow! A recipe! It's been a while, I know :) It's fall and I'm cold. The best way to warm up is STEW..oh and heat. Heat would be good.

As you all know by now, I just throw things in a pot and hope for the best. This is the best recipe for that. You can alter it any way you want. This is what I did, you can add or subtract anything your wittle heart desires.. Also..the pictures are from my iphone. If I took them with my Nikon you'd get this post next year. :P

1 Yellow Onion
1 Big carrot
2 cups of chopped mushrooms (I used white)
10 small potatoes
1 clove of garlic
1.5 cups Broccoli
1 bag of Beefless tips
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp Italian herbs
1 Tbsp Soy flour
1 Pinch of corn startch
Salt and pepper to taste


Boil potatoes, set aside. Keep them in the water as you prep the other ingredients as you'll need it to make the 'gravy'.

Chop mushrooms, onion, carrot and mince the garlic. I fried the garlic, onions and mushrooms in the 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Once there was a bit of water in the pan from the veggies cooking, I added the carrots (they cook better with the water).

Once cooked, transfer the above into a stew pot. Don't clean the pan!

ooooh...weird iphone picture

Now fry your Beefless tips in the same pan (all that yumminess from above will soak into the 'beef") I usually cook my 'meat' with Italian herbs. It's usually a combination of Oregano, Thyme, Basil, Parsley, Sage, Bay Leaves. I buy mine in bulk at the grocery store.



I use an iron skillet. It heats up fast and cooks evenly. It is also good for the iron if you need more in your diet!

This time I added some of the 'potato water' to the fry pan to boil/fry the 'meat'. You don't need to do that, but it makes a semi gravy as you go. Once your 'beef' is done add it to the stew pot and chop (or not - see, you can do whatever you want!) the potaoes and add them as well.

Ok, last ingredient before the gravy. Add some potato water again and steam/fry/boil the brocolli. I do this last so it isn't all mushy. I only cook it long enough for the colour to be more vibrant. No one wants mushy broccoli...no one!



Lower heat and add some more potato water to your iron skillet. I slowly add the flour and corn starch and wisk it until thick. You can add salt and pepper if you want as well. I did't want too much gravy this time, so I only added about 1 cup of the water. You can obviously add more if you want.


Looks gross, but it's good, I swear - haha! Just add the gravy to the rest of the ingredients and mix together. Add salt and pepper to taste.


And that's it kids! Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Do you have any fall/winter comfort foods you like? Let me know! I want to try them!




No comments:

Post a Comment