Sunday, April 22, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Cake with Coconut Frosting

Say whaaaat?! Yes, I know....so tasty! I belong to an Art Collective and we will be having a show soon titled "Nosh". Each of our pieces are being accompanied by a recipe and I chose this cake recipe 1)I have an awesome picture of a cake already...less work 2) Who doesn't like chocolate caaaaake???

The recipes for the show are supposed to be family recipes passed down throughout the generations, but since I am the only vegan in my family ever, I guess I have to start my own traditions!  My mom would make the best desserts and cakes, so I am in a way honoring my family...vegan style :)


Cake
1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water (or apple sauce if you prefer)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 f. Add and stir dry ingredients into mixing bowl. (I sifted some of them as my sugar was a bit lumpy.) Add all wet ingredients together in a smaller bowl and whisk. Slowly add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with large spoon until smooth. Spoon into greased (I use Earth Balance) and floured pan. Bake for 30 mins. Let cool completely before frosting.  

Frosting
 2 cups organic powdered sugar (if not organic, it isn't vegan)
1 cup earth balance
1/4 cup coconut milk

Whisk or blend all ingredients together until icing is smooth and creamy, adding powdered sugar or liquid as needed.

AND THAT'S IT! Pretty simple, ya?

I found this recipe here on the Instructibles blog. They use a glaze, but I didn't want to go that route. Instead I chose the frosting from About.com.

Let me know if you try this recipe, if you modify it and how it turned out! I have read a lot of posts on this type of vegan cake and some people can't even tell it's vegan! woot


2 comments:

  1. MMMMM....we had vegan cupcakes at a kid event last year - they were chocolate and had avocado in them and they were soooooooooooo good...and there is no way I would have known they were vegan if the mom hadn't told me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yum! I have made this recipe into cupcakes as well..works!

      Delete